In 1797, a small group of post-revolutionary War settlers began to gather as a Baptist Society in the Pompey-Manlius area.
By the early 1800’s, the congregation had grown, and in 1827 a church was built on Seneca Street in Manlius, New York.
When the congregation grew too large for the Seneca Street location, the present brick building on Pleasant Street was constructed in 1928. The steeple and bell from the old Seneca Street location were transferred to the new church.
With the growth of the Sunday School, an educational wing was added in 1968. An elevator and other improvements have been provided since that time.
After many years in service, our steeple and bell required a restoration. We celebrated the restoration in 2015:
Left: Jeremy Mapstone and Will Shephard ringing the restored bell.
Right: Our newly restored steeple and bell.
The Church became affiliated with the Baptist Missionary Convention in 1828 and continues as an active member of the American Baptist Churches, USA.
Dr. Elwin J. Richardson’s book, entitled First Baptist Church of Manlius; The First Two Hundred Years, was published in 2016. Copies may be found at the church and at local libraries and historical societies.
Links to specific time periods within our church’s history can also be accessed from the sidebar on this web page.